I have to admit that until a certain degree I’m thee castles addict. Everywhere I go, I look for castles. They are awe-inspiring, historical monuments to me; they have secrets to reveal and stories to tell. Few things feel better than to stand on a high castle wall, or at a watchtower overlooking the surrounding area down below.
It is no wonder that over the years I’ve collected quite an arsenal of information about castles during my travels, their history and stories. I also compiled a list of the best ones to visit and which ones to really avoid. So here I present to you a list of some of the best castles to visit within Europe. Some of them are well known, while others not so much. Enjoy!
(The location of each of these castles can be viewed on the map on the Routes.Tips widget below.)
And the list:
- Sforza Castle – Milan (Italy)
- Neuschwanstein Castle – Fussen (Germany)
- Mir Castle – Belarus
- Burg Kreuzenstein – Viena (Austria)
- Wawel Castle – Krakow (Poland)
- San Marino towers – San Marino
- Vyborg Castle – Vyborg (Russia)
- Ksiaz Castle – Poland
- Chillon Castle – Switzerland
- Eilean Donan Castle – Scotland (UK)
- Hohenzollern Castle – Germany
- Moritzburg Castle – Dresden (Germany)
I hope you enjoyed this list and learned something new! Please let me know if you know of any other hidden travel gems worth a visit within Europe! I would love to add these castles to my list.
This article was sponsored by Routes.Tips.